Monday, March 19, 2007

Another Madrid Weekend

Madrid 3.18.07 026

I spent the last two weekends travelling and, because of some bad weather in Bilbao, I decided to spend another weekend in Madrid. The weather was perfect in the city, and I succeeded in adding more color to my skin, so as to have an extra souvenir when I return to New York next week. On Saturday, I saw the Palacio Real for the first time during the day and decided to be a tourist and go inside the Palace. I was a bit ambivalent about taking the tour as the building isn't the most spectacular building in Madrid. However, the inside of the palace was very beautiful and quite opulent (as one would expect of a royal palace).

I spent the rest of the day walking around and then, later in the afternoon, I relaxed in a bar while reading my book about the Spanish Civil War. At night, I had dinner with Rafa in the Chueca district and then went with him for some "copas" (drinks).

On Sunday, I met Rafa and his friend Helen. We spent the day hanging out in the Rastro / La Latina district. After another friend of Rafa joined us, we headed to the same tapas restaurant I went to on my first weekend in Madrid. After dinner we headed to a very old cafe in Lavapies. The cafe is a bit run down looking, but it adds to its charm as it probably looks like it did 80 or a hundred years ago. After reading my book about the Civil War, I could imagine groups of communists, anarchists, and all the other left wing groups of the time huddled in the cafe while they discussed the right-wing rebellion. After some wine and desserts, I headed back to my apartment and performed some much needed cleaning.

Madrid 3.17.07 071Madrid 3.17.07 102

No comments: